Whether you have a thousand and one reasons why you want to avoid noise, installing sound pads for walls means you have a specific soundproofing goal in mind.
Sometimes, those reasons are too basic, such as getting rid of road-noise, bird chips, chicken crows, loud rain, or noisy neighbors.
But on a different level, you may want to put a voice booth and have no idea how to cancel noise within the room to achieve quality sound.
For whatever reason, soundproof padding for walls is a practical way to control the sound reverberation in a given environment.
No matter how basic or complex your need for soundproofing, soundproofing pads have fantastic features you have never realized existed before.
Let’s see how excellent they fare for your specific needs.
What Does Soundproofing Padding Do?
You can benefit from soundproofing in many ways.
Whether your goal is to block noise, mitigate the irritating noise from the outdoors, or enhance the sound indoors, soundproofing is an excellent way to achieve all of these.
But before we proceed to the benefits, we might want to know the science behind these materials’ soundproofing capability.
Does Soundproofing Padding Work to Block Noise?
It depends. Sometimes, we interchange sound blocking from sound reducing; that’s why we get confused.
Soundproof pads do not block noise per se. They only serve to dampen the sound to hear what’s desirable to your ears. They are sound deadening implements.
Besides, acoustic pads for walls function differently. Some acoustic panels are more effective in absorbing sounds than others, but they are only used for acoustic purposes.
What do we mean by that?
Soundproof padding is a sound dampening pad. These pads are not sound blockers. We will illustrate a scenario where you can grasp better how soundproofing pads serve as noise-canceling panels.
Soundproofing panels, like acoustic foam panel, are more appropriate for enhancing sound than just getting away with intense noise in the acoustic world.
The materials built on the panels have sound absorption capability and help to eliminate background or “unwanted” noise and the echo effect.
Without an acoustic panel, a bare wall does have a much more intense echo effect when sound bounces on it.
Benefits of Soundproofing of Wall
You could never be more than happy if you lived in a home that gives you beyond comfort and convenience. And you can start achieving such a comfortable life by soundproofing your home.
The benefits of soundproofing go on a long list. Here are a few you can ponder next time you intend to enhance your walls with soundproof pads.
Other people would mainly want privacy when their home or room is quiet. A quiet room will give you peace and relaxation so you can think better. If your room is a study room and you have siblings that are too noisy in a day, you can have a secluded, quiet room where you can do your work at your most productive moment. Or you simply want to sleep peacefully.
Soundproofing your room or home will limit the transfer of airborne noise, whether the noise is coming from inside or outside.
2. Keep Your Neighbors at Peace Too
Respecting others’ privacy is one of the fundamental principles neighbors should uphold. Just as you need the same amount of privacy, you have no idea what your neighbor is going through.
If your room is acoustic and you have an ensemble of musical instruments you use every day, acoustic pads and panels reinforced with a soundproof blanket, or soundproof curtain, it will keep the noise at bay from your neighbors.
3. Local Regulations and Community Recognition
If you love karaoke even at the wee hours of the night, the chances are that your neighbors will file a complaint in the community for being a nuisance. Also, loud music without regulation within the room will create noise pollution.
Most local governments impose noise regulations for residents in a particular community to preserve peace and safety, especially at night.
So putting yourself in the shoes of others thinking of the consequence of your actions will help you build a peaceful community.
4. Forges Good Communication
Have you realized how hard it is to have a conversation in a noisy environment? Do you and your family members shout within earshot when talking? Why? It is because the level of noise in your place is too loud, hampering a smooth conversation.
Soundproofing your room is an effective way to have a healthy discussion. That’s why conference rooms have acoustic pads and soundproofing materials to reduce high-frequency sound brought by voices from the simultaneous conversation of people.
5. Protects your House or Building Integrity
Soundproofing an acoustic wall panel is an effective technique to maintain the building’s integrity. Some people encounter fears of having their window glass shattered due to the loud music from another room.
Full blast music from another room will have a negative impact on the adjoining existing wall that doesn’t have soundproofing protection. Doors or windows made of glass are prone recipients of loud sound and are fragile to withstand the impact of vibration.
PRO TIP: A glass has a resonance frequency limit of 100 decibels. If the sound that reaches the glass is amplified and exceeds the volume, the particles within the glass will shatter.
There are many considerations before you can start soundproofing your wall. Understanding the following factors in using dampening pads will lead you to a successful soundproofing project.
Wall type for soundproofing
Most walls in a building are double walls with a hollow core. If your wall is as bare as this, you need more soundproofing materials like mass-loaded vinyl, foam panels, acoustic sheets, bass traps, or weatherstripping to enhance its mass.
Adding thickness is always an effective way to control coming through that wall.
If the wall has more mass and is heavier, it is difficult for sound waves to penetrate if they are coming from the outside.
Understanding the STC rating of a wall assembly in your room will make it easier for you to decide which dampening pads are the best for your use.
Sound transmission class is the sound isolation rating on a particular soundproofing material.
A higher STC rating means the materials’ capability to reduce noise at a certain level.
Similar to the concept of wall types, the thickness of a soundproofing pad will dictate how much sound is reduced.
Weather Stripping for Soundproofing: (Everything You Need to Know)
If you notice in an audio room with a wall panel filled with sound deadening pads, the sound produced removes the echo effect of any sound propagated within that room.
Identifying noise sources is also crucial in your decision in buying an acoustic foam panel.
If the noise comes just beside your apartment, for whatever your purpose in soundproofing, you need to thicken the wall and add more soundproof tools to keep you away from the noise.
PRO TIP: Stereo amplifiers affect the height of sound waves. The higher the wave, the louder the sound. That’s why they are called amplitudes of sound.
What Matters Most While Buying Sound Pads for Walls?
- Thickness-Choose a sound pad known to have high-performing features, can also be used in the ceiling, and tightly snugs the surface.
- Patterns-There are different patterns and types of soundproof pads to choose from. These can be in wedge ridge, beveled, hexagon cut, or emulating egg crates.
- NRC-Noise Reduction Coefficient, NRC, is the absorption ability of sound deadening material. Check for absorption sheets that are manufactured to reduce sound at an incredible rate. An NRC 1 is an absolute rate. So if a material can absorb at a rate of almost 1, it is an excellent acoustic product.
- Quantity and size-Size and the number of pads you need depend on the size of your room and its design. If you transform a conventional bedroom into a recording studio, you will need more of these pads for enhanced bass and zero reverberation.
PRO TIP: NRC is the absorption ability of a deadening material, while STC is the transmission and propagation of sound waves from the source to the receiver.
Why do egg cartons soundproof foam panels have wedges as the typical design in soundproofing pads?
The purpose of the waves found in an egg carton is not merely for sound absorption but an acoustic treatment for breaking the sound waves into multiple frequencies to reduce the noise and echo effect in a room.
1. A2S 24 Pack 2-Inch Acoustic Soundproof Panels
The A2S acoustic soundproof panels are devotedly manufactured and designed for professional audio rooms. It can cover 24 square feet if your room is in a pack of 24. Made with high-density material, which means they are highly effective in dampening sound.
More features and benefits:
- SGS certified fireproof (Fireproof Grade B)—In case of fire-related emergencies, it is best to mitigate the fire by reducing the intensity, stopping the spread.
- Thick material—Thickness speaks for higher efficiency in sound absorption. With a rating of NRC 0.90, what could you ask for more? Excellent for studios and all kinds of acoustic rooms.
- Wave grooves—Designed to capture unwanted sound waves, which improves sound quality to the maximum level.
- Adhesive stickers included—Sticker accessories make it easy for the acoustical foam panels to stick on the drywall, saving you time for more important matters and giving you comfort to finish the room in a short time. Add an acoustic caulk when creating sound barriers like these.
11 Cheapest Ways to Soundproof a Wall : (The Ultimate Guide)
2. DEKIRU 12 Pack Acoustic Panels Sound Proof Padding
The DEKIRU acoustic panel’s edge over the other is its fashionable design. The honeycomb style is exceptionally appropriate in many applications and doesn’t destroy your room’s aesthetics. Meaning, they can be used on any walls aside from acoustic rooms like a recording studio, vocal booth, band, or entertainment room.
More features and benefits:
- Flame retardant class (Fireproof Grade B1)—Excellent and applicable to use in “any” room.
- Eco-friendly—It doesn’t contain toxic odors, which makes your home a healthful place to live. It is safe for children as it doesn’t contain harmful chemicals that can be inhaled, providing you with an environment-friendly space.
- Easy to cut and install—Attach each panel with a sticker or spray adhesive and remove them conveniently if you want to transfer them to another wall. The adhesive is a separate buy.
3. Acoustic Absorption Soundproofing Insulation Panel
With an NRC rating of 0.92 across various frequencies, this soundproofing panel boasts of its superior soundproofing capability. It comes in squared acoustic tile for easy customization that can be used for multiple acoustic applications.
More features and benefits:
- High-density—Made of polyester fiber which absorbs sound efficiently better than studio foam tile.
- Thick and stylish—Can be placed on any wall of any room without damaging the room’s aesthetics
- Versatile—Can be cut according to size needs and placed on furniture and loud appliances, but adhesive not included.
- Affordable—It looks expensive, but the price tag consists of a 48-pack product
4. ZELMINE Sound Proofing Padding for Wall with High Density
Best value in most aspects of acoustic soundproofing. Great thickness and density, and more affordable compared to its competitors! Thickness is one of the significant factors in soundproofing performance, specifically for optimum sound absorption.
More features and benefits:
- Emulates egg tray design—The wavy grooves are designed for optimum sound deadening capability, giving your room an enhanced sound quality, perfect for acoustic studios, home theaters, and vocal booths for radio and podcast.
- Made of acoustic foam tiles—shockproof surfaces are practical for reducing the vibration effect and resonance frequency.
- Fire-resistant—Doesn’t burn and controls heat due to insulating features, keeping people and property safe during fire-related emergencies.
- Versatile application—Aside from walls, it can be placed on a ceiling, window, door, or foot of doors to protect against scratch and prevent the escape or travel of airborne noise.
Soundproof padding or noise-canceling pads for walls are practical tools in any of your soundproofing projects.
These sound dampening pads are specially designed for acoustic purposes. They do not merely serve aesthetics or utility as shock absorbers against wall damages, but they perform all.
While acoustic pads for walls are great products and may compete with one another, it doesn’t mean you will get the absolute sound blocking feature, but it will improve your life in many ways.
Also, using them as standalone tools for soundproofing may not be as effective as when your soundproofing needs are more than just reducing noise.
Whether you are on the budget or less, installing these soundproofing foam panels is as efficient as they should be, based on the design they are built for.
Robert is an electronic engineer with more than five years of experience with a solid affinity for helping people reduce noise. He writes about these silent home appliances and easy soundproofing measures to help everyone avoid the negative effect of extended exposure to high noise levels.